Many weight loss programmes do not promote health. They focus on a quick way to lose weight. But after the diet, the weight tend to pile back on again. When you adopt a strategy of healthy eating for weight loss, not only do you lose weight, but your health improves.
One of the healthiest foods that can be consumed, to your hearts content and still lose weight, is pickled or fermented food. Before you rush out and buy a jar, you may find that learning to pickle your own will offer better health promotion benefits.
Traditional pickling of foods is made by adding salt (use Celtic or sea salt) to the chopped raw food, normally a vegetable, such as cabbage or cucumbers. Water may be added, vinegar may be used as an adjunct and the food may be pressed, depending on what it is. It is then left for a few days. The probiotic bacteria in the food produces lactic acid which preserves the food.
Any food can be pickled. The limit is simply how the end result tastes. Asian people tend to be keen on pickles.
Fermented, or pickled, food contain many healthy nutrients and qualities:
- you have all the benefits of the vegetable, such as mineral content and fibre, in a more potent and tasty form
- you have all the benefits of the raw food with its enzymes and other nutrients that are destroyed by cooking
- probiotic bacteria improves digestion and boosts the immune system
- the process increases the vitamin C content, resulting in a healthier immune system
- fermentation creates new nutrients such as many of the B vitamins
- fermentation increases the antioxidants available
- fermentation removes and neutralises toxins in foods – which is explains why eastern soy (fermented) is so much healthier than western (unfermented soy)
- the resulting lactic acid improves circulation, helps to reduce hypertension, improves the digestive system
- this is a good diabetics food
- by adding seasoning such as ginger, garlic, dill, turmeric and other herbs and spices, you get the benefit from these as a bonus
- pickles are low in calories, so you can eat them to excess with no fear of either gaining weight or damaging your health
Shop bought pickles are usually pasteurised, killing off all the benefits of the fermented food. They tend to use vinegar as the main fermenting medium, but this is not so beneficial as the slower way with salt. You don’t need much salt and the result is not salty.
To make your own pickles, this website, The Most Powerful Cultured Veggies is a great source of information. Be wise in choosing the way to lose weight. Healthy eating for weight loss focuses primarily on your health. Weight loss comes naturally.